Greenburgh is a member of Sustainable Westchester, a consortium of local governments that is addressing sustainability concerns. They are looking for an executive director. This is the job posting.
For over six years I have been sharing job posts about job opportunities with residents. At least a few hundred people have landed jobs as a result of the job posts. If you’re out of work and want to be added to the list, please advise.
Sustainable Westchester, a not-for-profit organization, is a membership-based consortium of municipalities that addresses critical sustainability concerns within Westchester County. Formed from the merger of the Northern and Southern Westchester Energy Action consortia in 2014, Sustainable Westchester’s membership has rapidly expanded to include the membership of virtually every municipality in Westchester County and now serves more than 900,000 residents.
The organization provides a forum for communities to share ideas, develop programs and procedures, and formulate effective responses to important sustainability-related opportunities. It convenes and provides support to individuals in member municipalities through volunteer-led Working Groups. Presently there are four Working Groups: Land Use/Transportation, Energy, Materials Management, and Water. The Working Groups set the strategic direction for initiatives in these areas based on the needs and opportunities presented to the member municipalities. Website: http://sustainablewestchester.org/
Sustainable Westchester is seeking a qualified and experienced candidate to fill its paid full-time Executive Director position. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director will have overall operational responsibility for Sustainable Westchester’s programs, expansion, and execution of its mission. S/he will initially develop a deep knowledge of the field, core programs, operations, and business plans. Other key duties include fundraising, marketing, and community outreach.
The Executive Director will be responsible for overseeing and executing daily administrative, communication and programmatic tasks to ensure the smooth and effective operations of the organization.
This is a unique opportunity to take on a leadership role in a young, evolving and dynamic organization. The successful candidate will possess a combination of fundraising, organizational and programmatic skills while demonstrating initiative, flexibility and a passion for sustainability initiatives.
1. Board Governance: Works closely with the Board of Directors in order to fulfill the organization’s mission.
• Responsible for leading Sustainable Westchester under the guidance and supervision of the Board of Directors.
• Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary (including budget, program and staff information) for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
2. Financial Performance, Fundraising and Viability: Develops resources sufficient to ensure the financial health of the organization.
• Responsible for identifying and pursuing fundraising opportunities, including drafting grant proposals and developing other resources necessary to support Sustainable Westchester’s operations.
• Responsible for working with the Board to ensure the fiscal integrity of the organization by preparing monthly financial statements, submitting a proposed annual budget that accurately reflects the ongoing financial condition of the organization, and ensuring the timely completion of all financial requirements, including taxes.
• Responsible for fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position.
3. Organization Mission and Strategy:
Works with Board, staff, consultants, and contractors to ensure that the organization’s mission is fulfilled through programs that are responsive to the needs of the member municipalities.
• Responsible for implementation of Sustainable Westchester’s programs and policies as identified by the Working Groups.
• Responsible for conveying to the Board the needs of the Working Groups to enable the Board to establish a strategic plan for the organization’s fulfillment of its mission.
• Responsible for ensuring that Sustainable Westchester, its mission, and activities are accurately visible in the community through oversight of media coverage of programs and activities, as well as website, Facebook, and social media outlets.
• Responsible for establishing and maintaining relationships with aligned organizations to strategically enhance Sustainable Westchester’s mission.
4. Organization Operations: Oversees and implements appropriate resources to ensure that the operations of the organization are appropriate.
• Responsible for the effective administration of Sustainable Westchester operations.
• Responsible for preparing and presenting monthly reports to the Board on the organization’s activities and progress in achieving its mission and reaching its financial objectives.
• Responsible for managing the administration of day-to-day operations, including routine administrative tasks.
• Responsible for the hiring and retention of competent, qualified staff, consultants, and contractors.
• Responsible for signing all notes, agreements, and other instruments made and entered into and on behalf of the organization.
• Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree in a relevant field preferred
• Proven track record leading and/or managing an organization/department/agency (preferably a non-profit)
• Preference for demonstrated experience and familiarity with municipal operations and/or public administration
• Passion for and experience with working on environmental, sustainability, conservation, and climate change issues
• Solid, hands-on, budget management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making and reporting
• Strong organizational abilities including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation
• Ability to convey a vision of Sustainable Westchester’s strategic future to any staff, board, volunteers and donors
• A strong fundraising and donor relations background with a proven track record of building financial and volunteer support for sustainability of an organization (preferably a non-profit)
• Skills to collaborate with and motivate board members and other volunteers
• Excellent communication skills, with proven ability to write and speak articulately and persuasively
• Proficient knowledge of computer and technology programs
• Ability to interface and engage diverse volunteer and donor groups
• Demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with any staff
• Strong public speaking ability
Position Type: Full-time
Salary: Commensurate with experience and other qualifications
Email résumé and cover letter to: Sara Goddard (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Application Due Date: April 15, 2016