UPDATE CHARITABLE DEDUCTION INITIATIVE… WAITING TO HEAR FROM SCHOOL DISTRICTS …UPDATE FROM BUILDING INSPECTOR LAST WEEK’S FIRE…STORY ABOUT LAST NIGHTS RALLY FOR IMMIGRANT RIGHTS IN LOHUD.COM
Last week the Greenburgh Town Board met with school officials regarding the charitable deduction initiative the NYS Legislature and Governor authorized. The next tax collection is in September when school taxes are being collected. So,we all have to act quickly if we want to implement the law in time for this September’s tax collection. In order for the town to implement the new state law – school districts within the town have to pass a resolution supporting the new state legislative initiative to allow charitable deductions for school contributions.
I have written to each of the School Superintendents and School Boards asking the School Board to indicate whether they are planning to pass a resolution supporting the new state legislative initiative (which is required by law). Have also asked for a list of questions/concerns that their board may still have so we can get answers. The town will work with school districts.
Some school districts around the county are reluctant to accept the donations because the IRS has indicated that they mayl not honor the deduction. The IRS has not issued a formal opinion as of yet and the matter could be resolved by the courts. The members of the Town Board and I are willing to meet with school officials again to discuss and would also invite state officials to join us at the meeting.
UPDATE FROM BUILDING INSPECTOR REGARDING LAST FRIDAY’S FIRE (received this yesterday)…
As you are aware there was a fire located at 172 Saw Mill River Road last Friday. This property has had an extensive history with the Building Department. The fire originated accidently by a candle left unattained on a book shelf causing the shelving to ignite. The sprinkler head directly above the shelves activated extinguishing the fire and triggered the fire alarm system. The Fire Department responded and opened surrounding partitions to ensure that there was no fire contained within the partitions hidden from view. As a precaution the Fire Department ordered Con Edison to cut the power and gas line to the building. Although there was no fire damage to the structure itself the building did have some water damage. We are in the process of working with the owner and his contractors to get the power and gas turned back on.
There has been some emails from concerned people to the effect that the building was overcrowded. The firefighters documented and provided us with the occupant count of each apartment at the scene and it is in accordance with the New York State Building Code and the Building Department records as to the permitted occupant load of each apartment. However the Building Department did issue some building code violations that need to be corrected.
This is a perfect example of how sprinkler systems can save both lives and property. If this building was not equipped with a fire sprinkler and alarm system throughout, the outcome would have been much different.
Yesterday I met with Assistant Chief Malone along with Russell Maitland our Fire Inspector to go over the conditions of the apartment building. The Fire Inspector and the Assistant Chief then went through the building to go over any issue the fire department may have. I also spoke to the Village Administrator of Elmsford to address his concerns.
As of this afternoon the building still has a “PROHIBITED OCCUPANCY” posted on it. This will remain in effect until electrical wiring and gas lines are tested and restored, plus the violations are to be corrected. Once that occurs the Building Department personnel will witness the testing of the fire alarm system an fire sprinkler system prior to lifting the posted notice. The Building Department will continue to work with Elmsford Fire Department to ensure that their concerns are addressed.
STORY ABOUT IRVINGTON HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT ORGANIZER DANIEL MARSHALL AND RALLY HE ORGANIZED AGAINST DETAINING IMMIGRANT CHILDREN AT BORDER